At St. Margaret Mary’s we are committed to designing an English curriculum that will support, enable and engage our students in a contemporary world.
We aim to:
- collaboratively plan and implement a structured, sequential and comprehensive literacy program P-6 with explicit teaching of knowledge and skills in Reading, Writing and Oral Language
- integrate literacy where possible in our inquiry units to ensure our experiences are real, hands on and challenging for our students
- provide literacy support to classroom teachers and students to improve teaching and learning
- utilise current technology and resources to enhance our programs and assist in providing students with skills for the future
- nurture a love of literature through sharing quality books and stories
- use ongoing assessment to inform and plan for individual student needs
- provide access to a fully functioning Library
The school is involved in Literacy projects facilitated by the MACS to foster student engagement and develop best practices in Literacy. Literacy intervention programs are offered to students with additional literacy needs.
- Reading recovery
- Levelled literacy intervention
- Sounds Write phonics